february

2nd of Februrary

I'm carrying on with my trials with the mdf.
I tried to make one trial using the leftovers of MDF found in the bins of the workshop.I filled my metalic tube with some small pieces of different sizes.









Pictures after the swelling process.

I am a bit disappointed. My moulds seem too small for this technique of recycling of small pieces of MDF. The gaps remaining even after the swelling process are too big and the shape of the cylinder is not really recognizable anymore. I have to try with a much bigger mould.

Another problem is that the pieces of wood cannot be really glued together before the swelling process and have to be glued afterward. For that, I tryed to pour onto the dry piece (still in the mould) a solution of PVA glue and water. It worked quite well. I will also have to try to pour some resin into it to fill the gaps and to glue everything together.

I made a trial trying to check how the swelling process can enable to print into the MDF.

As I wanted to check if the shape taken by the MDF could be more complex than a plain cylinder, I tried to add to the first mould a bigger diameter at one end. Here is the mould.






The result seems quite convincing but it is still difficult to say, the mould is too small and not complex enough to judge.


In order to avoid using any kind of glue or resign, I tried to make a joint (assemblage) with the different pieces of MDF.
I wanted to check if the swelling process could permit to make the assemblage stronger.




The result is a bit disappointing, the joints are weakers than they were. Finally, I realised that this is due to the fact that the mdf was not put in the right way. It should work if I do the joints differently.

With one of my trials I realise something I hadn't realised before: the MDF shrinks when it dries, even if it keeps the shape. On this example you can see the mould in plastic much larger than the MDF pieces.




I have made a bigger and more complicated mould; the mould of a plastic bottle.




Below is the type of assemblage I used for the different parts of MDF








Tutorial with Gareth William, 19th February 2009-02-19

Funeral rituals project:
References to have a look at: Jane Goodie
Maybe ask the welcome collection about the reception of their photographic exhibition about death.

The whole process of death has to be brought back to life.

For the new rituals: maybe use new techniques and their advantages.
(for example, the new techniques can permit to make things quickly (rapid prototyping) , it can be an advantage in the ceremonies after death).

You should look at new types of objects and go away from the conventional symbols.

Saharawis project:
Reference to have a look at:
“Persistence of craft”
What is nice about the Saharawis project is that it is a way to empower people.

Tells me that what he feels about my projects is the predominance of “sense of importance of human dignity”(not pride). It’s about preserving human dignity, sense of humanity. Sometimes, it can be lost, can design bring that back?

This last point I think helps me a lot for my dissertation topic. It gives me nice key words.